Assumed Names

What’s New

Effective September 1, 2019, a corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company or foreign filing entity shall file the certificate in the office of the Secretary of State and is no longer required to file in the offices of each County Clerk where the business is to be conducted (HB 3609-86th Legislation).  

General Information

Texas Business and Commerce Code Title 5 Chapter 71.051 requires persons conducting business or providing professional services to file an Unincorporated Assumed Name Certificate in the County in which the person(s) will be conducting their business. Please use the following guidelines when applying for an Assumed Name in Ellis County:

  • If filing in person, Assumed Names must be filed in the County Clerk’s Office located at 109 S. Jackson St., Waxahachie, Texas 75165.
  • If you have partners in an unincorporated business, each person must sign the Assumed Name document in front of a Notary.
  • Your Assumed Name must be filed with the County Clerk unless you are required to file with the Secretary of State.  For more information on state requirements please visit the Secretary of State’s Name Filing FAQs.
  • Assumed Name Certificates are valid for 10 years from date of issue.
  • Your application must be notarized.
  • You may file more than one Assumed Name.
  • Assumed Name Certificates may have more than one registrant.
  • There is no age requirement for filing an Assumed Name.

Filing fees will vary according to the type of Assumed Name Certificate you are filing.

For information on correct filing fees, please call our office at 972-825-5070.

If you mail your application and pay by check, you must include a legible copy of your valid government issued photo ID with your notarized application.

All checks are to be made payable to: Ellis County Clerk.

For more information or if you have any questions you may contact us at or by calling 972-825-5070.

NoteMany businesses are required to obtain a sales and tax permit to sell their product. To find out if this requirement applies to your business, please call the State Comptroller at 1-800-252-5555.